CanKata

CanKata

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Andaman Islands: Go Back! Go Back!

Havelock Beach #7 was one of our favourite anchorages in the Andaman Islands. We stayed there for four days. Highlights:
·        had Indian lunch and spicy ginger chai (tea) ashore on three of those days
·        caught a taxi to the small village on one of the days (did internet and shopped at the market)
·        bought a coconut from a teeny-weeny ancient lady
       (I say this with much respect and with the hope that someday I will deserve that description)
·        saw elephants on the beach
·        did lots of snorkelling

On day three, we were alarmed to get more information about an incident that happened on day two. While Darrel was hunting for grouper on day two, I snorkelled closer to shore to get a better look at the coral (which this year is unfortunately bleached and colorless). I heard a whistle and stuck my head up. A man wearing military garb and carrying a rifle was waving me away from the beach. “Go back! Go back!” he commanded. I obeyed and joined Darrel in his hunt for a grouper (no luck), wondering if I had encroached upon a private beach.

Then, the next day, came the alarming news. The man with the whistle and gun was warning me away from a beach where there had been a crocodile attack! Rumour has it that there have been 24 attacks in 25 years, or maybe it was 10, or maybe it is all an exaggeration. Whatever the truth, I didn’t return to the beach. Maybe there is no crocodile, but there was certainly a man with a gun.
... and wondering if it's wise to swim with crocodiles.